Deadpool (Movie Review)

(((Will Contain Spoilers)))

Summary:
This is the origin story of Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) who is a former special forces operative that is currently working as a mercenary. Wilson was subjected to a rogue experiment that left him disfigured, gave him accelerated healing and he adopts his alter ego aka+Deadpool. With help from mutant allies Deadpool will use his new abilities to hunt down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

The opening credits definitely demonstrated Deadpool's personality. Before the action started we had Deadpool speak to the audience and tell us how he got starred in his own movie which he indiscreetly mentioned Wolverine. However, when he was in the SUV kicking butt he put a cigarette lighter in one of the henchmen's mouth and said "I've never said this but don't swallow!" OMG!!! I died of laughter I couldn't stop laughing. Ten minutes into the movie and I can't stop laughing.

I thought him saying that would be the best thing that I've ever heard but no it gets better. He got shot in the ass!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAH It's stupid little details like these that really make it a very funny enjoyable movie. And don't get me started when he had to regrow his hand and a teeny tiny one (like a baby's) was growing. The movie had a bunch of weird funny shit that would make anyone with a sense of humor laugh.

But what I found was the most funny was when there were references to the past X-Men movies, when Wade was in Wolverine: Origins, when he was Green Lantern, the movie studios, the movie producers and even Ryan Reynolds. Guys! Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool referenced himself. Can it get any better?

When it was time to find his alter-ego's name Wade and Weasel came to the name Deadpool then Weasel said "Sounds like a fucking franchise" so possibility of Deadpool becoming a franchise? Because that would be so freaking awesome! ****Deadpool 2 coming out next year!*****

It was fun to see the evolution of Deadpool's costume but I never toke him as a seamstress. One thing I really liked was that Angel Dust packed quite a punch against Colossus. I liked that it wasn't up to a man to fight him. I felt the fight was fighting against gender norms and demonstrating that a woman can be stronger than a man because the one who really stopped her from killing Colossus was another woman. Specifically, Negasonic teenage Warhead (Awesome name btw!) which sarcastic teenager too busy tweeting with awesome powers? Yeah, my kinda girl.

But when you really look at the character list there just are not that many. And the story was a  bit lacking. I found that there just wasn't much depth to the story. I felt that the movie was more centered to actually finally having a Deadpool movie and it showcasing Deadpool himself and I felt the story itself was left behind which is really disappointing. Another thing that was disappointing was Colossus' character because we only got to see him in his mutant form. Apparently, it toke 5 different guys to make up his character. I wished they could have brought back the original actor who played Colossus in the X-Men movies.

My favorite character throughout the whole movie? Blind Al gosh she was phenomenal and was a great counter-part to Wade. I inspire to be her in my old-age. She was funny without trying to be funny. If there is one character I can watch over and over again, that is her.

Honorable mention: A hero is defined by 4 or 5 important moments. I absolutely love this quote.

Now for the rating! I am going to give this movie 4 stars on 5. Yes I have been dying for so many years to finally see this movie and it was hilarious! But the story needed depth, more characters and overall it needed to be more meaningful. It left a lot to be desired. And it hurts me to write this but I have been waiting for this movie since Wolverine: Origins and it was disappointing. But Blind Al and Deadpool together? Really uplifted the whole movie for me <3

Do you guys have different opinions than mine? Did y'all really like it? Let me know! And don't forget to subscribe for more reviews.

Comments

  1. I think Deadpool deserved a bigger foe ,the guy he went up against seemed more like a henchman then a boss in my opinion ,but still was a great look at a humorous character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right on that! Deadpool definitely needed a bigger antagonist to balance him out and have the final fight seem more serious. We all knew that Deadpool was obviously going to win so Ajax aka Francis wasn't much of a fight.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)