Barbershop: The Next Cut (Movie Review)

((((Will Contain Spoilers)))))

Barbershop: The Final Cut is the third installment of the Barbershop movie franchise that first started back in 2002. And I wish I knew that before having watched the movie. When I watched it I felt as if I was missing the backstory and development of the characters and the evolution of the Barbershop. So I was on a mission and I watched the first two installments. I always loved Ice Cube as an actor and these movies did not disappoint. So if you guys haven't watched the first two movies then I highly recommend that you do so. Especially, if you want to be in on those specific references.

In the third movie we have actors such as; Ice Cube, Cedric the Entertainer, Nicki Minaj, Tyga and many more. Due to harsh economic times both Calvin and Angie had to merge their businesses. However, the ever known 'man-cave' aka barbershop has been introduced to a more feminine clientele and stylists. Tossing aside the ever present battle of the sexes, Chicago has had a surplus of crimes and gangs leaving Calvin to contemplate his family and barbershop's futures.

The movie talks about gender roles, gangs and criminal violence. And black lives matter. It might be a comedy but the movie is littered with meaning and current topic issues. Which is a nice change of pace to the movies Ice Cube usually does. His movies are more geared towards comedy and action so this type of issue ridden movie is quite different for me to watch.

I thought that this review would have been a heck of a lot longer but I don't really have much to say about it which is shocking considering it's me and I usually write a lot when it comes to reviews.

This movie was good in a lot of ways but at the same time I've seen better movies and this one did not leave a huge lasting impression. I loved the different characters such as Draya (Nicki Minaj) and Calvin but it's not in my top movies that's for sure. One thing I do have to point out is that Tyga as a gangster is a joke. I couldn't take him seriously when he was trying to act tough.

So now for the rating! I'm going to give this movie 3 stars on 5. This movie did have a lot of enjoyable moments and had a lot of trending topic issues but it just wasn't overwhelming for me. It's one of those movies that if you've seen it once you don't have to see it again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)