Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires #10) By: Rachel Caine (Book Review)
Summary:
There's a new extreme sport getting picked up on the bare—knuckle fights pitting captured vampires against each other—or humans. Tracking the remote signal leads Claire—accompanied by her friends and frenemies—to discover that what started as an online brawl will soon threaten everyone in Morganville...
This the tenth book in the Morganville series and typically it's around this time where I start questioning just how much more an author can give us before they are stretching out a story that has already been told in its entirety. They already defeated Bishop; Amelie's dad and Mr. Big Bad who practically brought Morganville down to its knees. We thought Amelie did he right thing and killed him but unfortunately revenge makes you do stupid things...
I'm surprised with the turn of events in this book. The fact that a fight club was even started and Amelie and her brigade of vampires didn't get involved until the very end was surprising. I can understand her waiting till she had all the facts and knew who were all the players but isn't that what she did last time and that's how her father was able to take over? You would think she would have gone about things differently. With how many books deep we are in the series, we know things of her but yet still know nothing about Amelie as the person.
I hate how much Shane easily became manipulated by Glory because in reality there wasn't much manipulation done. Just a tiny bit of coaxing from her and guidance from Vassily and Shane quickly turned on the people he's supposed to love most. I understand being in pain and needing an outlet to exercise said pain but isolating yourself and being cruel to your loved ones? As a thirty year old, shit like that doesn't fly but he's in his early twenties and outlived his entire family...Shane gets a break. I couldn't imagine living the horror of his life and not turning out even worse than him. I will say I wish we were given any information on the side affects of digesting vampire blood long term does on a human body.
I love Claire and I will always be rooting for her! She is brilliant and I wish we had more scenes between her and Amelie. And not them playing psychological chess with each other but an actual heart to heart between both. Claire deserves the absolute best with everything this young girl has put up with. I can't believe she said no to MIT when at the start of the series that's what she was ultimately working towards.
Bishop is a huge pain in the ass. And Amelie inherits his bad behavior for letting him stay alive for as long as he was in her custody. Bishop is a homicidal maniac who loves nothing more than revenge. In which scenario keeping him alive would have a positive outcome? I love Myrnin for doing what Amelie cannot. She says she can and will kill her father but so many died at the hands of Bishop last time and she kept him alive. Myrnin killed him Winchester style out of Supernatural and I am here for it.
Just when we think things are relatively back to normal after Michael getting pummeled by Shane, Myrnin killing Bishop our poor Scooby gang still has more to deal with. Claire and Shane go to Myrnin's lab to deliver blood but instead get attacked by Kim (Psycho girl obsessed with Shane) and her posse. Poor Shane gets an arrow to the shoulder and the shock of finding out his father is the new ghost/machine in charge of Morganville...this line alone without context to the story is frightening.
Rating:
5 stars on 5! How can I not give this story such a perfect rating? I'm still surprised that we're at book 10 and still going strong. I hope the next one in the series brings another high because I don't want to deal with a book fatigue this far into the series.
Comments
Post a Comment