The Curse Of La Llorona (Movie Review)

***This review will contain spoilers***

Summary:

In 1970's Los Angeles, the legendary ghost La Llorona is stalking the night and the children. Ignoring the eerie warning of a troubled mother, a social worker and her own kids are drawn into a frightening supernatural realm. Their only hope of surviving La Llorona's deadly wrath is a disillusioned priest who practices mysticism to keep evil at bay. 

I am honestly surprised with how well this movie was made! This is a solid scary supernatural movie with amazing actors and a great script. Typically, with a lot of 'scary' movies I itch to grab my phone and browse some social media app to find something entertaining. Either the acting is super shitty or the script is so ridiculous that I don't even want to finish the movie but not this one. 

At first glance you wouldn't think this movie was associated with the conjuring universe. Our only indicator that it is, is because Father Perez appears in this movie and he was the priest who was in the first Annabelle movie trying to help the Form's fight against the demonic entity attached to the doll. I love that this movie wasn't centered about being part of the conjuring universe but simply expanding it. They took the mythical story of a revengeful ghost and adapted it to the big screen. Seeing with how much reception this movie got I'm fascinated to see what other ghost stories they can adapt. As a child some of the common one's were about bloody Mary, candy man etc. And granted some of them have already been made but I'm sure there are so many more ghost stories out there that it would be awesome to see the conjuring team expand on them. 

One thing I truly appreciated was how the majority of the cast were minorities. I wish a lot more movies being made today were inclusive because there are so many talented actors out there with a ethnic background who deserve to have more opportunities. Frankly, it's becoming tiring seeing the same people being casted in all major roles or there's a lot of white washing that occurs. Essentially, all I'm saying is that this cast is amazing and I hope to see more of these actors in other movies. 

I was shockingly surprised to see Raymond Cruz play Rafael in this movie. Every time I see him on screen all I can think about is him as Tuco from Breaking Bad saying "Tight, tight, tight" lol. He's such a good actor and I'm so happy that he was casted in this movie because he meshed really well into the story and never thought he would portray priest but nonetheless he was bad ass as per usual. 

Rating:

To no one's surprise I'm giving this movie 5 stars on 5. I have no complaints about this movie at all. And that doesn't happen often. I do hope that they do come out with a sequel because the ending did leave me with a sense of foreboding. I would also love to see more of Father Perez and Rafael. Heck, maybe in some way have them work side by side against evil.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)