24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep By: Jonathan Crary (Book Review)

Hi everyone so this is my last book review for this year.

So here I have Jonathan Crary's 24/7 novel that was a required book to read for my last humanities class for college. I never would have picked up a book like this but I am super happy that I had to read it for class. In all honesty it puts things into perspective.

Crary talks about the 24/7 system that has over taken everyone's lives. And that sleep is the last barrier against Capitalism. He tries to show us the differences that have changed our society due to Capitalism trying to take over our lives.

The first thing he talks about is sleep. Sleep is a natural human occurrence. However, for the past hundred years, we have been sleeping less and less. Today we are actually willing to sacrifice our sleep to finish up last minute work, homework, assignments or even for entertainment. And SHIT it is so true. It is really bad that the sleep we need to function properly we are willingly sacrificing. Whether it is by pharmaceutical drugs or other means we try our best to stay awake. Gosh just in college alone I cannot even count how many times I've pulled allnighters just to finish assignments and what not.

And because we deprive ourselves from sleep there is now medication to help facilitate us to fall asleep. He says that Capitalism is already controlling us to certain extents and for it to have full control they just need to get rid of sleep. Which the American military has been trying to do.

But he also talks about what we are all have been feeling. We are all connected through social media and the internet but yet we could not feel any more lonely. The internet has overtaken our lives and we try to define ourselves by our virtual presence.  

As you can see I can go on forever writing about this book. But Crary definitely makes you realize just how much Capitalism has been ruling our lives and unfortunately it will not change for a long time.

Now to rating this book. I am going to give it 3.5 stars on 5 only because yes it was interesting and enlightening but it was hard to understand what he was trying to tell us. I am happy that I was introduced to this book in my humanities class because I wouldn't have been able to understand it otherwise.

Well that's it for now I hope you enjoyed this review.
P.s Happy New year!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)