The Pope’s Exorcist (Movie Review)

 ***This review will contain spoilers***

Summary:

Father Gabriele Amorth, Chief Exorcist of the Vatican, uncovers a centuries old conspiracy while investigating a young boy's terrifying possession. 

"When we jeer at the Devil and tell ourselves that he does not exist, that is when he is happiest." 

-Father Gabriele Amorth 

I have known of Father Amorth for many years. He has done tens of thousands of exorcisms and have helped save just as many people. He has had many movies made about him and his experiences and has penned many books in hopes of teaching others and leaving his knowledge behind. His quote about the devil being at his happiest when we mock him rings true. Even if we do not believe doesn't mean it isn't real and cannot effect us. I've had many moments in my life where it felt like I was living my own personal hell on Earth. Now whether that be the devil's direct actions or influence it's hard to say but by the grace of God and prayer God was able to show me the path to a better life. 

By mocking the devil you allow him to sneak his way into your life and create havoc without being none the wiser. However, with God in your life you make it difficult for the devil to steer you from your divine purpose. By believing that heaven and hell isn't real it makes it easy for evil to ensnare and commit its evil doings in silence. Why would you blame something that you don't believe in? Makes it easier for evil to stay in your life and create more chaos. 

What is most interesting about this movie is that it's not a simple story of possession. It expands our minds to the possibility that the devil has been behind some of the worst atrocities in our history. Father Amorth has said in interviews over the years that the devil is in the Vatican by bishops not believing in the devil, committing acts of pedophilia and not living within God's light. He has also said that he believes that both Hitler and Stalin were influenced by evil. 

One of the lines I loved most in the movie was that the closest thing to God's love is a mother's love. That resonated deeply within me because growing up I had an extremely abusive relationship with my mother now being on the other side surviving that whole ordeal I vowed to myself when I will have children I would love them with every fiber of my being and never treat them the way my mother treated me. 

They will use your sins against you. Holding on to our guilt and letting things get heavy on our heart can keep us standstill in our growth and as the movie shows evil can use that against us. Jesus Christ suffered to absolve us of our sins. Forgiveness in ourselves can be difficult to achieve but we all deserve it. God made the ultimate sacrifice for us, the least we can do is show ourselves kindness and love in return. 

I love how Russell Crowe portrayed Father Amorth. One thing that I can find extremely annoying is when stories become Americanized. And by this I mean when a person's mother tongue isn't being used in the movie or the actor has a piss poor accent. Father Amorth is Italian and Crowe did a great job speaking Italian. Some of his mannerisms matched Father Amorth's and am happy this movie was well received by others. 

Rating:

I absolutely loved this movie and am giving it 5 stars on 5! If it isn't obvious from my review the takeaways I took from the movie had me thinking a lot of my childhood and the adversities I have faced. There is currently a sequel in the works and possibly many more movies to come. The end of the movie definitely pointed towards a sequel when they discussed Father Amorth and Father Esquibel sending to hell one of the two hundred fallen angels. I hope the sequel does justice to this movie because it was well made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)