The Suicide Squad (Movie Review)

 Summary:

The Suicide Squad follows a motley crew of imprisoned supervillains sent by a secret government agency to a hostile island to destroy a mysterious experiment. 

Now this is an awesome superhero movie...but replace the heroes with villains, profanity and vulgarity and you've got yourself a 5 star rated movie. We've got some familiar faces, some new characters and an actual enjoyable movie. Lately, I've been keeping track on whether a movie captures my attention long enough that I get lost in the story and if not my phone seems to be the natural go to when surviving a shitty movie. I'm happy to report that this movie succeeded in both capturing my attention and making the time fly because before I knew it a two hour plus movie flew by. 

I'm disappointed but not entirely surprised that Will Smith didn't return as Deadshot. All of that hype in the first movie just to be then replaced with another black actor who's character similarly has the same exact skillset...I hate when big shot actors get important roles in a franchise and then bails when it's time to reprise the role. Apparently it was due to scheduling conflicts but I call BS. When there's a will, there's a way and looks like he went the other way. 

Idris Elba killed it as bloodsport and had amazing chemistry with John Cena opposite to his character Peacemaker. Kinda funny how both Deadshot and Bloodsport basically have the exact same skillset but Idris fit in well in this movie. James Gunn has mentioned he would like Idris to return as Bloodsport in his DC Universe. And I wouldn't be upset for him to reprise his role. 

I was extremely emotional when our Aussie Captain Boomerang died within the first 10 minutes of the movie. I loved his character in the first movie and his dynamic with Harley in what little we got to see them interact with each other in this one. And don't get me started on Rick Flag being killed by Peacemaker...I loved Rick Flag and despite him being a military man he was willing to throw it all away to keep his country accountable to their crimes and injustices. 

Dare I say that John Cena was made for the big screen more so than the Rock? John Cena has a presence about himself and not because he's mostly muscle. He has got great charisma and acting chops plus comedic timing? Out of this world. I'm actually super excited that Peacemaker got his own tv show. There are currently two seasons out and apparently a possibility of season three but nothing has been confirmed yet. I loved John Cena from his WWE days and always knew he would be such a huge movie star. And what better character to take on than Peacemaker. I will say...no one will be able to do a phenomenal job at the character than Cena himself. 

Margot Robbie....what an amazing actress to play Harley Quinn. She truly brought Harley Quinn to life and was the saving grace for the first suicide squad movie. There have been rumors that this was the last movie she will play Harley Quinn. I hope not because yet again she did fantastic in this movie and I would love to see how much further James Gunn would take her character. 

Rating: 

I think it's beyond obvious this is getting a 5 star rating! It was such a good movie and not only was the  cast amazing but James Gunn has this wonderful ability to write and direct, especially, when it comes to introducing new characters or not as popular characters on the big screen. I'm excited to see just how much DC will grow in the next 5-10 years under Gunn's tutelage. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)