Bullet (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #19) By: Laurell K. Hamilton (Book Review)

 ***This review will contain spoilers***

Summary:

Anita Blake is back in St. Louis and trying to live a normal life-as normal as possible for someone who is a legal vampire executioner and a U. S. Marshal. There are lovers, friends and their children, school programs to attend. In the midst of all the ordinary happiness a vampire from Anita's past reaches out. She was supposed to be dead, killed in an explosion, but the Mother of All Darkness is the first vampire, their dark creator. It's hard to kill a god. This dark goddess has reached out to her here-in St. Louis, home of everyone Anita loves most. The Mother of All Darkness has decided she has to act now or never, to control Anita, and all the vampires in America.

The Mother of All Darkness believes that the triumvirate created by master vampire Jean-Claude with Anita and the werewolf Richard Zeeman has enough power for her to regain a body and to immigrate to the New World. But the body she wants to possess is already taken. Anita is about to learn a whole new meaning to sharing her body, one that has nothing to do with the bedroom. And if the Mother of All Darkness can't succeed in taking over Anita's body for herself, she means to see that no one else has the use of it, ever again. Even Belle Morte, not always a friend to Anita, has sent word: "Run if you can..."

Somebody please send help! I am stuck in this vicious cycle that is Anita Blake. I absolutely loved her and now I can't stand a thing that she does. It's sad when the summary has more plot than the actual book itself. This is becoming comical on a very depressing level. This book had no plot, no substance and it was just about meaningless sex. Explain to me how there can be more sex scenes than actual plot? There are so few pages to actually help expand on the story. This is another book with a good concept but shitty as fuck execution. 

If Hamilton would have stuck to her guns and continued her writing style that she started with for this series, I would be happier than a pig in shit. And I'm sure most of her fanbase would have as well. As a reader, I'm being thoroughly left down. The book starts off with Anita and her entourage of men at a dance recital which isn't the bad part, what was weird was Anita kept comparing herself to every woman she came across. I don't know if anyone else picked up on it but she seemed to have almost a hatred to thin women. She was almost boasting about her curvaceous body and how it's more desirable. I'm a curvy woman and I love big women being represented in books and movies but Anita was boasting about her curves but also how super fit she is and to sort of emphasis that she's not fat. Hamilton has time to do that but not add a single thing to help this story. 

One thing that really fucked with my head was how the men in her life were almost forcing her to push her sexual boundaries and have more sex with strangers. Not sure if Hamilton is trying to tell us something about her personal life but if I had a boyfriend trying to peer pressure me into sex that motherfucker will be gone out of my life. I don't understand how Hamilton thinks that Anita's superpower being her vagina is a good story? All these men in her life have lost all essence and are just a shell of who they are and are only used for either sex scenes or to boast Anita's ego. If I hadn't of bought the rest of her books I would've called it quits. I'm just over the books with no plot. If I just wanted smut I would've started a series who had that right off the bat. 

What little plot we did have was pretty damn good. The mother of all darkness isn't dead; of course she wouldn't be...duh. Anita is always adamant to have everything triple checked and for the big baddie of all time she just accepts someone's word that she's been killed? She has visited Anita so many times spiritually that Anita never thought her spirit could survive on it's own? Seems like sloppy writing to me. The mother of darkness is working her magic to possess as many powerful vampires as possible and is trying to find a way to possess Anita's body. So their plan is to have as many Master of the city's pledge themselves to Jean-Claude and have Anita have sex with different coloured tigers so she can become the master of tigers. Yeah, sounds stupid doesn't it? 

Rating:

I'm going to give Bullet 1 star on 5. I'm just done with this series. It's so bad it's painful. After every book lately, I'm trying to be optimistic and lying to myself saying it'll get better and it never does. Another weird thing, I don't understand how Hamilton can write about a 5 year old being attracted to Anita and the fact that Anita kissed the kid on his mouth like it was normal. If a woman would kiss my kid on the mouth no exception I would go fucking nuts on her. Keep your hands and orifices away from my kids. God knows if she was still human she'd have caught something by now. Overall, I'm over this book.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)