Goddess Of The Sea (Goddess Summoning #1) By: P.C Cast

 ***This review will contain spoilers***

Summary:

Home alone on the night of her twenty-fifth birthday, Air Force Sergeant Christine Canady yearned for something to cure her loneliness. After drinking too much champagne, she recited a divine invocation to revive her humdrum life. But how was she to know the spell would actually work?
 
When her plane crashes into the ocean, CC’s life changes forever. She awakens, bewildered, to find herself in a legendary time and place ruled by magic—and in the body of the mythic mermaid Undine. But danger lurks in the waters, ready to swallow CC whole. Taking pity on her, the goddess Gaea turns her into a damsel, that she might seek shelter on land. But when a dashing knight comes to CC’s rescue—a dream-come-true she should be falling for—she instead aches for the sea and the darkly sexy merman who’s stolen her heart…

I have been in such a reading funk this year. Trying to read through the disaster that is the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton to just losing my love of reading. So for my final book of the year I decided to go with an author that makes it enjoyable to read and isn’t a painful experience. P.C Cast has consistently made great books with plot! I’ve had my eye on the Goddess Summoning series for some time now and I’m so happy I stopped reading the Anita Blake series and read this book because I just want to devour the rest of this series! 

This book is all about female empowerment, embracing your Devine feminine and finding true love. I’ve come to a point in my life where I rather read books that have a lesson to learn and the protagonist grows and evolves. I’m over the books about smut and only smut. Give me some damn plot! 

This was a great rendition of the story of the water nymph Undine. CC exchanges bodies with Undine so she can live a life full of magic and embracing the feminine power within her. However, it doesn’t take long before she finds out that there is a merman named Sharpedon that is willing to do anything to possess Undine, even if it means against her will. Kind of a shitty situation to be in, CC exchanged bodies with Undine to discover magic but instead she comes across a merman with rapist like tendencies…no wonder she escaped the water. By escaping she then went on a mission to find a human to fall in love with so she can forever be a human but of course things never go as planned and instead she falls in love with Dylan a merman and a childhood friend of Undine.

I love that this wasn’t a traditional love story where the mermaid falls in love with the human knight and instead she falls in love with a merman who would do anything to protect her. In her short time as a stranded Princess, CC stayed at a monastery run by Father Abbot who essentially bastardized the holy bible to oppress women and keep a tight hold on those he had power over. We’ve essentially got a couple of ‘men’ who cannot stand a strong woman with valid opinions. Shit this makes me want to go to the sea and I can’t even swim.

The last few chapters had me reading so quickly I was almost skipping lines. Of course, Sharpedon completely overtaken by his jealousy attacks the merman Dylan and if it weren’t for the interference of Lir and Gaea CC might never have returned home. 

Losing Dylan in one world was beyond heart breaking for CC but one thing to expect about magic is that things have a way of righting itself. Dylan dying in his world allowed for his spirit to travel to CC’s world where they could be together. 

Rating:

But of course 5 stars on 5!!! How could I not?! It was such a great read and had such overwhelming writing that I just want to purchase the rest of the series and devour them. 100% recommend this book. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neutrogena: Healthy Skin Instant Tone Corrector (Review)

True Blood: Season 1 Episode 6 Cold Ground (Episode Review)

Ouija: Origin Of Evil (Movie Review)